Netffice 24 Android apps for opening/editing Hangul (.hwp) files

Update: Netffice has been depreciated and replaced by Hangul Office. See my newer post:

Original post (now outdated) continues below.


The Netffice 24 (넷피스 24) Android apps


Note: this is one of several methods for working with HWP files. See my other posts on opening Hangul (.hwp/.hml) files.

In my last post I showed how you can easily open/edit Hangul (.hwp) files online. Now I thought I'd do a similar run-down showing you how the Netffice 24 suite works on Android. The app suite can be used entirely in English and works quite well. Let me show you how it works.

Netffice 24

The first thing you should note is that, like with the Google office apps suite, the Netffice 24 apps are divided by program feature (PDFs, Text, Spreadsheet, Presentation, etc.) If you're going to be working with Hangul files, I suggest just downloading the default Netffice app; you do not necessarily need to download the others. This is similar to the way Google Drive works: the Drive app stores all your documents and allows you to view them, but the actual editing is done in separate apps (for example, you can view a spreadsheet in Google Drive, but it will open in Google Sheets for editing).

In fact, when viewing my .HWP file in the Netffice 24 app, the app automatically began to download the proper editor (Hword) when I tried to edit the file.

Let's take a look at it in action, with more screenshots than you can stomach.

Viewing, Editing, and Saving/Exporting an HWP Document



Here was my "drive" folder when I open the Netffice 24 app. You may have noticed that that "Asian Games" speech was the same file I uploaded to the cloud in my last post. Similarly, I can upload files to my Netffice cloud storage from within the Android app.

Now I'll just tap to view that file.


The file displays cleanly. As this is simply the storage/viewer app, if I want to edit or export as a PDF, I'll need to open it in the Hword editor.

Tap the pop-out arrow icon at the top-right to launch the editor (at this point, it will download the needed editor files, if you do not yet have it installed)


Here's the view of the document in the Hword editor. From here you can tap anywhere the edit the text of the document. I won't show you examples of the editing in-process, but you can see many such screenshots here at the Play store.

I should also point out that the appearance of the editor is meant to change depending on your screen-size, so it may look a bit different (with more visible options and a traditional menu bar) on larger screens.

Let's open the menu and take a look inside.


Here's the full menu for document editing. Let's take a look at some of the options in here.

Start with exporting this as a PDF. You can see there in that 3rd "save" icon that "PDF" is written. Perfect to export the file. Tap it.


It asks us where we want to save the exported PDF.  


For this example, I chose the Internal Storage option. Now I can rename the file and choose the specific directory path in which to save it.

Other Options in the Menus


Let me just quickly run through what else is available from the menu:

"Options"

"Document Info" - Normal

"Document Info" - Summary

"Document Info" - Statistics

"Print" dialog

Storage Space


Here are the app preferences. You can see that I've got 10 GB of cloud storage for my Netffice drive account, and also that, as I mentioned before, I have "Pro" account status. Is that 10 GB a result of that "Pro" status? I'd be curious to know what others see. 


One issue with using these apps is that they installed a lot of additional files, including quite a large list of fonts, presumably Korean-language-ready, given the "Han" prefix on each. These files add-up to a fairly hefty size. 


The Netffice app itself seems slim, but you can see that the overarching "Hancom Office (Netffice 24)" app it downloaded is 45.63 MB, and "Hancom Office Hwp for Android" app is 52.48 MB. That last app can be moved to the SD Card, but the others cannot (on my Android 4.4.4). Note that neither of these will show-up as launchable icons in your application drawer.




The overall experience of using these apps is pretty nice. Not going to lie: I doubt I'll ever actually edit documents on my phone, but it's nice to have the app as a storage drive for my HWP files. This is especially true since the Netffice 24 app integrates with the native Android share menu. This way, when a co-worker emails me an HWP file, I can send it (via my phone) directly to my Netffice cloud storage, so it's waiting for me at the site when I sit down to my laptop.

For being a fairly light-weight Hangul viewer, and for seamlessly sending emailed HWP attachments to the online editor, I think it's a worthwhile addition to your phone.

Of course, if you're super hardcore about editing the most extreme documents possible right on your tablet, you can always purchase the $25 deluxe version.

Seriously guys, if you weren't here in Korea five years ago, you won't understand how annoying and difficult it was to have to deal with HWP files as a non-Korean. Even half the Koreans in the office were using the same pirated version of Hangul Office that the "techie" guy had installed on everyone's computer and on which he warned us never to click "Update" when it popped-up.

I may sound like a Hancom fanboy lately, but it's only because 90% of the hassle of dealing with HWP files is now a thing of the past. I am full-on editing HWP files on my Lubuntu Linux machine! If you'd told me that five years ago, I'd have said you're insane, Korea will never reach that point. Things move fast here, friends. My bold prediction? No one will remember Active X by 2016. 




Finally, don't forget to see my other posts on various other methods of opening Hangul (.hwp/.hml) files.

Comments