Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Blogger photos inside Google Drive


TL;DR: If you don't see your Blogger-uploaded albums inside Google Photos, try checking the Photos folder inside Google Drive. 

With the announcement of Picasa Web Albums being retired, I was worried about all the photos I've uploaded from within Blogger, from not just this blog but my personal and family blogs, some of which had years' worth of photos. Previously, Picasa Web Albums (picasaweb.google.com) was the only way to see all these photos, as Google Photos (photos.google.com) did not show them for me.

This is strange, as I have another personal/family Blogger account (not tied to Google+, as this one is), and all the photos uploaded via Blogger there do appear in Google Photos.

More strange, my Google Photos page does show "Assistant"-created creations, such as collages and animations, made from the photos I've uploaded to this blog. But that's it. The originals are, for some reason, not visible there. Have a look:

Blogger-uploaded photos not appearing in Google Photos-- but "Assistant" creations do!

I was nervous that Google's announcement of Picasa Web's "read-only" mode would mean no newly-uploaded Blogger photos would appear there:
That way, you will still be able to view, download, or delete your Picasa Web Albums, you just won’t be able to create, organize or edit albums (you would now do this in Google Photos). 

But luckily, I found that if I simply enable the "Google Photos" folder inside Google Drive, then they all appear there and can be easily managed inside the Drive interface. Here they all are:

Blogger-uploaded photos appearing in Google Drive

It's not ideal, as I'd prefer to just use the Google Photos interface for its powerful searching, but whatever.

So if you're like me, and nervous that your Blogger photo albums are missing from Google Photos, try checking inside that Google Drive folder. It sure made me breathe a sigh of relief.

No comments :

Post a Comment