Kakao Map gets English language turn-by-turn navigation

FYI: KakaoMap has now added English language voice directions to their turn-by-turn navigation.



As posted in their changelog, version 1.3.4 of the app includes a vibrant and upbeat English female voice directing you where to turn and warning you of upcoming hazards.

I'm not going to lie, I like her voice. It's more pleasant than the Naver English guidance voice, which itself was much nicer than Google's.

I tested it out and one problem though is that the actual screen navigation itself is still in Korean (just as with Naver's current navigation guidance) so you'll need to rely on universal visual cues but it's pretty simple. Here's a sample of what it looks like. Just imagine seeing this, with a reassuring female English voice explaining each step.


Note that you don't need to download the separate KakaoNavi app for this to work. This is all baked in to the KakaoMap app itself.

So with this, Naver, and of course Waze, there are now three separate English language voice guidance navigation maps to help you drive around Korea. Neat.

Of course I still just use my car's inbuilt navi because it's just easier than taking my phone out. By the way, I'm calling it now: in 5 years you'll have self-driving taxis at Incheon airport that you can talk to in English. "OK KakaoTaxi, take me to Myeongdong" and it won't even try to add a few zeroes to the bill.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Does this service give full directions in English or only turn indications? For example if I do not know about the speed limit or lane to go can it tell me? I cannot read Korean on the screen well but I will drive a car in Jeju island next month. Please I appreciate your response.
Sam Nordberg said…
Personally I mostly use my car's built-in navigation. I used the Kakao navigation just on a drive around the block. It spoke all directions to me in English but that was a very short test. I've used Naver Map's navigation in English more often. It won't speak the lane, but it will say things like "in 300 meters turn left" and the on-screen guide makes it pretty obvious which lane you should be in.

As for speed limits, Naver Map will start flashing at you if you drive over the speed limit and makes an announcement about speed cameras. So that should help you out. Naver's navigation also warns you of all kinds of things (like "accident prone area ahead" or "school zone ahead"), in English. So if you're hesitant, try Naver Map app. Good luck and have a safe trip.
Zedsonata said…
I hate the "accident prone area ahead". We live in Korea. The whole road is an accident prone area. I've ended up turning off the sound of naver navigation anyway. The thing never shuts up talking.