Recommended: Military curfew's influence on 1970s Korean night culture

Recommended reading

 "Curfew created unique nighttime culture in 1970s"

Screenshot of article from Korea Times


I don't know why, but I thoroughly enjoyed this humble article, full of old ajusshi remembrances of their working man days as media workers. This penchant for nostalgia always gets me, and is one of the things I find endearing about Korea.

"I usually went there with two or three Korea Times staffers with whom I worked with at night for the city edition," said Son. "We would order one bottle of soju, along with a bowl of haejanggook (a meat soup with vegetables) as a side dish. A bottle of soju was good enough for us to continue our chat about our lives and families until the curfew was finally lifted."
 - Curfew created unique nighttime culture in 1970s


Comments