How to restring your Korean laundry clothes drying rack

Here's a simple illustration showing exactly how you arrange the strings or ropes in a Korean laundry drying rack (빨래건조대 끈 교체), the kind that you can release down from the ceiling when you need it and retract it back up out of the way when you don't need it.


There are a lot of YouTube videos out there showing how to do this, but I found this incredibly simple drawing the most accurate and easily understandable. Hopefully this can help a few lost souls out there who accidentally yank too hard (whoops!) and rip the whole thing down and have to try to repair it.

I actually ended up tearing out the little metal gear piece with the teeth, but all the parts were still intact, so I was able to just reset it. In my case it was the 2nd blue spot in the drawing. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't engage when I put it back in. Turns out I had left the little hanging bit of rope loop on the wrong side. It was surprisingly difficult to get that rope loop put through there and have the little assembly stay in place. Had to use a credit card to slide it between the rollers. But it worked out in the end.

Now this is a true 10-won tip. 

I would give a thank you to https://blog.daum.net/baby143 but Daum Blogs were shut down a couple years ago and the Tistory that took this name seems like maybe a different person. Link rot is a real issue and could have lead to the loss of something this simple and useful so feel free to share it around and keep it out there. 

Happy restringing.


Comments