Links from August 2018

Time for another good old link roundup. Interesting stuff I read about Korea in August and a little bit from early September that you might be interested in too.

I've been swamped this week and don't have time to go through and add my usual hilarious and engaging commentary to these links so I'm just providing a big fat list of links. That's it. I'll let you sort through them but remember that all of these are curated by me personally (that means I read the article, thought "huh neat" and saved it in one of these lists, so you know even if it looks dull there's some gem there maybe).

On with the links. Man I can't wait for this epic 5 day Chuseok coming up...


Links from August 2018


Life in Korea



Korea Abroad: K-pop and K-culture outside Korea



WTF?



Feel good stories



Army exemption for performers?


With the hooplah about Son Heung-min getting exempted from army duty thanks to his Asian Games Gold, some are asking if performers should get the same treatment. Honestly, I'm going to say "yes." In all seriousness, what's the point? If the point of this exemption is to let top-notch professionals not jeopardize their short-lived career prospects after they've performed a great service to raise the international standing of Korea (no idea if that's the logic behind it, just spitballing), then surely the same applies to a group like BTS. If anything, BTS has done more to raise the international standing and marketability of Korea than some medal in a regional competition. Not to downplay the achievement of Son, but in my serious opinion the BTS boys deserve the same. Not every idol or singer of course, so we need some standard. Topping the Billboard 100 consecutively? Breaking the #1 spot? I don't know I'm no expert.


History



Tech stuff



Posting to Korean SNS


Here's a decent looking Wordpress plug-in for letting you put sharing buttons on your site to share to popular Korean social media services. They also include a guide for setting up your Kakao developer account, so that you can have a "Send via KakaoTalk..." button. Yes, you have to provide a key to do so but it's pretty easy to set up. Here's some walk-through links to help.


Finally, congrats to Korea in this month's Asian Games. Eat it, Japan. 🇰🇷

Comments