Halloween special: sexy Korean costumes from Coupang πŸŽƒ

Now here's a cultural import that I can get behind. I was doing some shopping on Coupang and got a pop up about their Halloween merchandise. Check out this massive list of stuff you can order.

Halloween products promotion page on Coupang



Costumes, masks, make-up, accessories, party supplies, candy, and yes, that on the right there is a whole category devoted to costumes for you pets. Ugh.

Out of curiosity, I went to look at the costumes, and saw a few motifs that brought me back to my college days of wandering the neighborhood outside campus with a red Solo cup in hand checking out the um, costumes, of the local ladies. Sure enough, it looks like a few "sexy" concepts have made their way over here.

Sexy Halloween costumes for Korean girls on Coupang

For those classy readers who clicked purely to read the article and not ogle any of these photos, we've got:
  • Sexy Japanese style schoolgirl uniform
  • Sexy Little Red Riding Hood
  • Sexy Chinese girl (tight mini qipao)
  • Sexy Asian style ghost
  • Another sexy Japanese style schoolgirl uniform
  • Sexy black velvet hood? It's literally just the hood/cape thing. Hot bod in mini-dress not included. 

OK you caught me. Yes, only two of those specifically advertise themselves as "μ„Ήμ‹œ" but there's not exactly that evokes horror or terror here.

But here's what actually got my attention: the fact that all these models are Asian, and I'm going to assume Korean.

I really expected Halloween costumes on sale here to be all just the usual stock white people models of costumes, and some sections are. But at least in the specific male/female/kids costume sections, the majority of models look Korean, like this cute and cool little Dracula guy or this sweet devil dude:

The real Korean Red Devil. Coupang.

Even that Sexy Black Velvet Hood model gets another showing as a Trick-or-Treater (felt too wrong to put "sexy" in front of that word). I'm surprised. I never expected Halloween costumes would be enough of a selling item to hire presumably local models to promote them. Has Halloween really started becoming a thing here? Has it gone from "that thing Americans do that we learned about in elementary school English class" to "so commonly Korean that we need to see what the costumes look like on Asian models, not on wacky waygookins"? I'm way too old now for hitting up Hongdae/Itaewon/Gangnam clubs to find out, but I've definitely noticed a lot of use of Halloween as promotional material. I was at a mall the other day and they had some costumed workers roaming around with some kind of big Instagram-style jumbo size frame for taking pictures with mall guests and presumably they'd post it on their on SNS complete with the mall's name and relevant hashtags prominently featured. I just never expected consumers would get such a kick out of what used to be one of my favorite holidays back when I was young.

Anyway, enough armchair sociology. Let's take a look at a few more for fun.

My favorite is this classic couples combo of ketchup and mustard. Just look at this guy's face. That's the face of a man who fully realizes what his dreams of being a professional model have come to. That's the same face I make at least 10 times a day when I get asked a stupid question or told to do a meaningless task. I feel your pain, mustard man. Frankly I'm just glad he got out of prison and turned his life around.

Ketchup and Mustard suits on Coupang

Then we've got whatever the hell this is. "Dog balloon suit" costume. For when you think to yourself "you know what would be a great gag? Going out tonight with an inflatable dog sniffing my butt hole all night."

Dog Balloon costume on Coupang

If that wasn't classy enough for you, get ready to go all out because you can pick up this belly dancer getup for the reasonable price of... 1,198,920 won. That's a thousand dollars. $1k. For a piece of silk and a bra. Yikes. If you're willing to drop that much cash on a freaking belly dancer outfit, call me up and I'll show up in a similar outfit and jiggle what I've got. I can guarantee I'll provide at least 10x the belly.

Belly dancer costume on Coupang

You can even pick up the obligatory Harley Quinn outfit but be aware it's just the jacket. No sexy belt, no fishnet stockings, no dyed wig, no make up, no baseball bat. Just the jacket/tshirt combo you see, which is probably just a plastic garbage bag with some paint to look like a jacket. $92. Ouch.

Harley Quinn "costume" on Coupang

So go click over to Coupang and stock up on your Halloween goodies. I feel like I just did them a massive promotional favor here but whatever.

And if any of you fellas are still reading, I'll leave you with more of Sexy Velvet Hood girl. Fair warning, scrolling through to uh "examine" the uh "product" she's modelling may be something you want to do not on your office computer. She's definitely got some of the biggest 애ꡐ살 I've seen.

Have fun out there and stay safe folks. Happy Halloween. πŸŽƒ

Comments