How big is Korea? Maps of South Korea on top of other countries

Tonight, instead of catching up on sleep, I was playing around on The True Size Of ... which lets you drag outlines of countries on a world map to see how they compare. All the sizes are apparently accurate and whatever and it gives you a pretty good idea of how these places stack up relatively.

South Korea is about the same size as Michigan minus the U.P. 


Korea's about the same size as Alabama. Ulleungdo would be Atlanta. 



Korea seems a little less than the England portion of the UK

Korea gets dwarfed inside South Africa. I was expecting a little bit more equal size here. Takeaway: SA is way bigger than I expected. 

Korea's about half the size of New Zealand's south island

Don't even think about comparing it with Australia. 

Jeju is about the size of the island of Oahu in Hawaii

I always wondered if somebody could swim to Jeju. If they can cross the English channel, it looks like they could make it to Jeju, no sweat. 

The takeaway of course isn't how small Korea is, but now amazing it is that this small country (and let's be honest, a single grand metropolitan area with a few satellite industrial cities) can have such a profound impact on the world stage in the 21st century. I hear all the usual expat complaints about how inefficient Koreans are (and I've voiced a few of those myself at some points...) but pound for pound Koreans punch well above their weight in any issue.

UPDATE: I lost track of time looking up a guy who swam the channel, and did a whole lot more. I was going to add something about him here, but screw it, he deserves his own post.

Comments