Half-Korean actress Ella Gross in new Star Trek series

When I haven't been stressed about the future of my job here (thanks coronavirus), social distancing time has meant I get to stay home more and watch more TV. Like I needed an excuse for that. So I've been catching up on plenty of TV I've missed out on, including the two new Star Trek series Discovery and Picard. I liked them both. I'm not a huge trekkie or anything but I enjoy them. 

Anyway, what caught my eye was a very familiar looking face from one of the episodes of Picard. A young actress, playing a younger version of the main character, looked strangely familiar, so I did an IMDB search to see why she might seem familiar.

Turns out it is Ella Gross, a half-Korean model and actress previously under Korea's YG Entertainment.

Image from IMDB

Korea watchers may be most familiar with her from a so-called "scandal" last year in which she appeared in a Baskin Robbins ice cream commercial in Korea that I saw on YouTube which I don't think ever actually made it to a television release.
The video, released Friday, features kid model Ella Gross advertising the new flavor “Pink Star.” She wears a sleeveless pink dress and savors the ice cream in various poses.
Within a day of the release, heated debate erupted online as to whether the ad was sexualizing the minor model.
Baskin Robbins hit by claims of sexualizing 11-year-old


I always thought this so called scandal was pretty dumb. The ad looked to me like it was trying to appeal to little girls who like ice cream but also want to look grown up, mature, and trendy. Little girls like to seem more grown up than they really are. It's normal. The fact that pervert grown men get turned on by that too has nothing to do with her, her parents, or the brand's message. But apparently some people had different opinions. 

Regardless, congratulations to Ella Gross and her family. It's a long way from a local Korean franchise ad to a part in a major studio series.

Comments