KakaoTalk on macOS gets native sharing

I'm not sure when this functionality became a feature, but I am very glad it did. The latest KakaoTalk desktop app for macOS now has a setting to enable integration with the default macOS sharing menus.

KakaoTalk native sharing on macOS.
카카오톡 맥에서 공유 메뉴 사용하기.

It's off by default, but after enabling it, you can share any file, any content, anywhere, right to KakaoTalk. 

This has been a huge benefit to me, since 90% of our workplace file sharing is done through KakaoTalk. I previously had to ensure the right Kakao chat room window was open and manually drag the file into it. Not a huge pain of course, but it did add friction to my workflow. Now, I can either right-click and "Share..." a file from the Finder, or, and what really improves the experience for me, I can share an open document through the native Share toolbar button. This means I can open a PDF or HWP file from KakaoTalk, make some edits, and then right from the open app, Share the new file back to KakaoTalk. 

There are a few limitations that make it a little less convenient compared to the iOS method of native sharing. It only shares actual files. I can't send URLs through this method. And some other file types seem not to send, such as Notes or Reminders. 

To enable it, just go to macOS Preferences > Extensions > Share Menu. Click the check-box:


You can also ensure it's checked in the Added Extensions box:

Once enabled, you can now right-click any file and KakaoTalk will be an option under the Share menu:


Or under the Share button for any apps that support it:

When you do, you'll be presented with a pop-up dialog box to verify the right file. It will include the list of all files if you selected multiple files from the Finder:


Click OK and you'll be shown the list of chatrooms or friends to send to:


Yes, I grabbed a fake PNG of Muzi to hide my actual chat list. 

Now that I wrote this post I realize this probably doesn't really save a whole lot of time compared to just drag-and-drop. But somehow it feels more natural to me. I'm glad they incorporated it, especially considering how few apps actually do utilize this native OS feature. 

Enjoy sharing. 




Comments