New food snack: 10 won bread

When I saw this shop, you know I just had to stop in and try it. 

Apparently a mildly trendy item being sold around Seoul is "Golden Ten Won Bread" (황금십원빵). 


Image: Gold 10 Won


These are oversized breads snacks, sold hot and fresh usually from a stall in a building, with a bready texture and taste similar to the famous Korean "fish bread" snack with red bean filling (붕어빵). But these are filled with sugar, cream, and thick mozzarella cheese. 

Here is one in my hand for scale. Looks like mine was a little burnt. They're resemble the old style 10-won coins



Since I immediately ate it like the fat pig that I am, I didn't take any other pictures of it, but the internet is filled with examples. 

Here's one where you can see how cheesy it is inside. I think what isn't showing up well is the cream filling too. 

Image: DiningCode.com


They come on these sticks but those are really only for handling at first. There's no way I could eat mine from the stick. If you bite while holding the stick, it your mouth will just tear the coin right off the stick. Just pick it up and chomp into it. 


Here's an example stall selling them. You can see the listed price is 3,000 each, which seems pretty steep. I got mine as part of a 5,000 won deal that included the big coin bread and an iced tea. The iced tea had peach or mango or some other sweet fruit bits inside and was extremely sweetened. It felt like drinking the syrup from canned fruits with some weak iced tea mixed in. 


Images: Bobaedream

My overall verdict? It was... interesting. If you are hungry, you can eat it. But I won't be having one again. 

They have franchises around Korea if you're curious and I'm sure there are more than showed up on this Naver map, including the one in southern Seoul that I was at. 


Anyway, I figured since this blog is themed from 10 won, might as well throw up a post about this. Here's my hot 10 won tip for today: feel free to skip this if you see it on the street. I'd rather just have the classic fish bread. 
 

Comments