Buy devices in Korea for your smart home - Matter, Google Home, SmartThings, HomeKit, etc

If you read this blog you probably enjoy playing around with smarthome devices. Maybe you have a Google Home speaker setup and you want it to control the lights or your coffee maker or whatever. Maybe you're an iPhone guy and lament that your Samsung using buddies seem to have a much easier time of this in Korea using SmartThings or whatever proprietary app (looking at you, Prugio and your 푸르지오 스마트홈) their apartment building uses. I have to admit though, I'm very jealous of my buddy who can call his apartment's elevator on his Galaxy and have it waiting when he steps out his door. 

Maybe you want to join the future but you weren't that sure how or where to buy the products you want to build the smart home of your dreams and were resorting to expensively importing stuff from Amazon or Ali Express. 

If so, check out this company called Aqara.

Aqara in Korea


It's a site I came across that has a decent collection of stuff you'd want. It's a global company [main company website: https://www.aqara.com] but they are now officially doing business in Korea so you can order locally from them and avoid some of those shipping costs. I discovered them via their press release that they are selling Apple Homekit products in Korea but their product line features a wider variety. 

Promo image for Aqara in Korea


Promo image for Aqara in Korea



Online store - website and Naver SmartStore


They have a Korean language version of the site at https://www.aqara.com/kr but you probably want their official Korea page at https://aqarakorea.com where they showcase the products available here and show in Korean won prices. 



Although I would probably prefer to use the Naver SmartStore:




If your wife won't let you spend your hard earned money on stuff like this, don't worry, they even have set up some Naver LiveShopping videos you can subtly start leaving playing around the house or texting her every few days to plant the idea that it's fun and trendy.

Models chat about smart plugs on Naver Shopping Live


Wide compatibility 


What really caught  my eye about these products is how widely compatible they are. Here's a list.



  • Matter (newer industry standard to combine multiple company's own protocols into one unified system)
  • Apple Homekit
  • Amazon Alexa
  • Google Home
  • Samsung SmartThings
  • Naver Clova
  • IFTTT
  • Home Connect Plus
  • Yanadex Alice 
  • LG ThinQ (not listed directly but mentioned in the promotional materials)

Offline store - Electromart


If you'd rather take a look at these items in person, they are sold at certain Electro Marts (the Shinsaegae brand that you usually find inside E-Marts) and A-Stores (Apple resellers) around Korea. Looks like they've had a presence here for a couple of years now. 

Aqara on display in Korea


By the way, this isn't a paid sponsorship post. I wish it was since then I could justify to myself wasting time to post this. Just a guy with a blog trying to pass on some tips. 

Will I be shopping here? Probably not. I've got a few small Google Home speakers around my place mostly for music but the smartest thing in my home is my Bluetooth door lock. Great for when I get home, take out my phone, wait 15 seconds for the app that Gateman hasn't updated in 10 years to load, wait for it to connect to my door lock, push the button, let the door unlock, and enter. Or just punch in the dang code and go inside which takes 3 seconds. 



Comments