List of Korean Mastodon instances

Here's a list of currently active Mastodon instances either in Korea or with a Korean-language focus.

Local timeline for Korean Mastodon instance twingyeo.kr

It turns out that several years ago I did a short post looking at Mastodon adoption in Korea:

Mastodon in Korea in 2017

At the time, records indicated that there were around 800 or so users on Korean-popular instances. Fast forward to today, and usage has grown substantially, with a quick perusal revealing several servers with around 6,000 users each. I don't know enough about the way the Mastodon federation works to know if those are unique users, but still it's quite interesting to see how it has grown in the time since that old post. 

Using Mastodon in Korean, from Ch의 거미졸공간

And with all the talk of people wanting to leave Twitter now that Musk is in charge, you might wonder what life on a Korean language server instance looks like. The official Mastodon onboarding guide only features a few:

Korean language Mastodon instances on joinmastodon.org

For those that are curious about this network and the kinds of Korean users that are on Mastodon, here are some more to explore.

Here's the list of instances available on the Korean Mastodon Relay:


Some of those may be more or less functional, so also take a look at this Korean Mastodon status board:

https://kmastodon-status.herokuapp.com/


All those listed at the board above are already in the list from the relay.

=====

Update 2023:

Just a quick update to show that Fediverse.observer currently lists Planet Moe as a top Korean instance, with over 21,000 active users. 


=====

I don't think I'll bother setting up an account myself on any of these. I'm personally a bit pessimistic about the future of Mastodon and doubt it will ever really rival Twitter and come out of its mostly tech-savvy bubble. I like the idea of it, so I'm happy to be proven wrong. But we had essentially this type of technology already, 20 years ago, called e-mail and RSS. The masses seem to prefer single corporations controlling their online lives though. So call me cynical but who knows. 

But don't let that stop you from 툿-ing!

=====

Update 2023: 

I actually do have a Mastodon now, which mostly retoots my tweets. Follow me there at https://mastodon.online/@10wontips



Comments