KakaoTalk temporary chatroom backgrounds for Chuseok are back

Once again, you can activate cute and short temporary background animations in your KakaoTalk chatrooms by mentioning specific keywords.


This occurred last year too, but I don't think I remembered to post about it. Just mention one of these Korean keywords in your chats. You don't need to add a hashtag or anything. It can be alone or as part of a larger message.

  • 추석 (Chuseok, from Hanja)
  • 한가위 (Hangawi, native Korean form of "chuseok")
  • 보름달 (full moon)
  • 송편 (colorful supposedly moon-shaped rice cakes)
  • 즐추 (contraction for 즐거운 추석, "happy/enjoyable chuseok")
  • 떡방아 (*)
That last one describes how they used to pound rice into rice cakes. But "slappin that ddeok!" also has some sexual connotations thanks to the imagery of the pounding and, most notably, for the sound it makes when you slap that ddeok, which is said to resemble the sound of "clappin them cheeks" if you know what I mean. 

Supposedly there are other keywords that will trigger actions. Let me know if you find any others.  

Anyway, here are what the images look like. I checked my router requests; I couldn't find any calls to these animated images when I first loaded them so maybe they're stored in the app itself. 





How they look in the chatrooms. Image: News1

This year, it will be active until September 12th (the end of the extended chuseok holiday). 

If you like this, you can also see my other post:

KakaoTalk cute Chuseok collage to impress your Korean friends

Happy Chuseok. 줄추! 

Comments