10원 Tips now on Mastodon

Today I opened an SNS channel for this blog on Mastodon. So now, in addition to the RSS feed and my Twitter account, you can now follow this blog's post on Mastodon at this link:

https://mastodon.online/@10wontips

@10wontips@mastodon.online

I know most people are still over on Twitter and depend on it for following things they're interested in, so for now I'll just crosspost content. This isn't exactly a high-volume blog so I don't think it will be much hassle. 

Aside from this blog's posts, I sometimes post news links with minor commentary to Twitter, and then collecting those would become the basis of my semi-monthly Links posts. But since Twitter has ceased being accessible in feed readers, it makes it much harder to go back and collect those postings. So having this Mastodon account will make it easier to go back and collect those posted links. Ideally I'd rather just use Mastodon but the people are on Twitter so if I want any sort of minor following, I have to stay there for now. 

Personally, I've been on Mastodon with a secret personal account for more than a year now. I enjoy the interaction there and while I agree it's got some learning curve, it's been a fun experience with a lot less drama. Frankly, I think the learning curve is a good barrier to over-zealous political attackers. So I figured it's time to give this blog a showing there. I don't expect many followers but it's nice to have the option available. I still regret Blogger taking away the e-mail subscription service, and haven't wanted to move to a commercial type alternative. I don't want you having to sign-up with a data miner just to get emails of my posts. 

You may ask: Why didn't I go with a Korean instance of Mastodon? I highlighted some of the longer-lived servers in a post already:

List of Korean Mastodon instances

Basically, two reasons:

  1. Mastodon in Korea is still a pretty niche thing. I've yet to see a server with more than 5k users. To me, that isn't a great indication that it will stick around long-term, and I didn't want to deal with picking one and having it disappear soon.
  2. My audience is English-speakers anyway, so I figured it's better to stick with a popular and large instance. 
I welcome any Mastodon tooters to follow me there. Like I said, I don't expect a big following there. Frankly I'm amazed that 800 of you follow me on Twitter. I know a lot of this content is very niche and not very important. But I like to hope that for some of you, some of the time, some of these posts are insightful and useful. My tips are really just worth about 10 won, but hey, sometimes you just happen to find a use for a 10 won coin. 

Thanks for the continued support and as always thanks for reading and happy tooting. 

Comments