Apple Pay and Hyundai Card: named customers only

Quick Tip: You can only add your own Hyundai Card to your own Apple Wallet.

I was curious about whether someone's Hyundai Card could be added to another iPhone user's wallet simultaneously. This is apparently possible abroad, where couples share one card on each device or parents load their card into a child's device. This last scenario is exactly what my buddy wanted to do. 

His son, like a lot of Korean teens now, has a black iPhone and wanted to use Apple Pay. Could dad load his Hyundai Card on both his phone and the kid's? No, no he can't.


"Verification Required" via Hyundai Card app to allow card functioning


It sounded interesting and something some expats with families here might want to know about, so I had him give it a test try, loading his card onto my phone. It wanted me to use the HyundaiCard app, but I opted for the manual route and it let me load the card into Apple Wallet via simply inputting the card number.

But.. and here's the big but... once I had done so, the card was locked until I could verify my identity via the Hyundai Card app. Since the name on the card didn't match the logged in name on the Hyundai Card account in the Hyundai Card app, it refused to activate the card.

I wondered what would happen if I logged into the Hyundai Card app on my phone via his credentials. Would it presumably then let me load it? Naturally, I had enough nunchi not to overreach and ask him to test that out. But if you're a parent or spouse and want to use one card on multiple devices, that might be the way to go. 


Comments