Kkwabaegi (꽈배기) reach #4 spot on World's Best Donuts 2024

Congratulations to Korea's own "kkwabaegi" (꽈배기) for reaching #4 on this "World's Best Donuts 2024" list. 

Image: TasteAtlas Instagram

If you haven't tried them, you're missing out. Pretty much available in any area where street food is sold, kkwabaegi are long twisty donuts made with 찹쌀 rice and sprinkled with sugar. 


꽈배기 By 쪼끄미- http://ypsch05120.tistory.com/236, CC BY 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=125174604


You can also pick them up, along with other similar traditional donut type snacks, at the franchise Kyeongseong Twists (경성 꽈배기). There's probably one near you right now. Paris Baguette has them too. But they're always better made fresh and with that special mom's touch. 


Instagram @kyungsung_twist


I'm not going to lie, I like them, but I don't know how on earth they got to #4. Churros are #22? I'd rather have an authentic churro than a kkwabaegi but maybe that's just me. I don't even know what the other items higher in the list are, including the top 3. Maybe I need to visit Italy. 

Anyway congrats to this humble Korean snack. If you're planning to visit Korea, have a few with a cup of black Americano. They always hit the spot. 

Update: See also:

'Taste of Home' ranks Korean fried chicken as 'best fast-food wings restaurant'


Comments