Fix text spacing jumps in Hangul Office for Mac

I've been using Hangul 2014 for Mac for awhile now on an Apple Silicon M1 Macbook. I've been impressed with how readily it handles HWP files with basic equivalency to the more robust and powerful Windows version. It is missing many of the features from the Windows version, but 80% of those features are never going to be used by an average user anyway. I've been more than content using this on this platform and works well in a cross-platform environment. 

However there are occasionally little hiccups that appear, though luckily I was able to solve one that has popped up and now then simply by adding a font.  



Text spacing jump problem - Hangul tables space error

One problem that's creeped up off and on is something I will call a "text spacing jump problem." This had been occurring on certain documents, especially those that use tables

I noticed that in some documents, the text of a table which should be immediately visible on the page gets pushed down to the following page, leaving an awkward gap. This was problematic because when two columns are used, it would leave hanging content in one column that no longer physically matched up on the page in the spot that it should. Therefore key notes or comments wouldn't be in the right place. Not ideal for working with important documents. 

Here's a visual example of what I mean.

Example 1:
A table of text with column notes. A large gap appears where text ought to start. 

Example 2: 
The table of text immediately below, as it should have been in Example 1.


I kept having to manually move the text back up, although when I opened the same file on a Windows computer, this behavior didn't occur. Clearly only the Mac was at the disadvantage. 

Text spacing jump solution - install font

I did some troubleshooting and came across the problem and its easy solution. 

The issue is with fonts. Installing Hangul Office on a Mac will include a wide variety of Korean fonts, but not all of those that come standard in the Windows versions, including, surprisingly, some of the most common default Windows fonts. 

For my example, I realized that the document's font, 맑은고딕 (Gothic light), was missing from the Mac, while present on all Windows laptops I tested. 

So I only needed to find this font online and install it in the Macbook, and suddenly the problem disappeared and the tables and text appeared correctly. In fact some Navering showed me that many Mac users had this problem and made this common font available for download.

 I'll add it to my Google Drive and you can grab it here for convenience:

🔗 맑은고딕.zip font download (3.3MB)

If you have the same problem then, verify which fonts are used in the document and ensure that they're installed in your Mac. If not, Google around to download them. 


Hat tip: 맥북유저를 위한 맑은고딕(TTF) 다운로드


Sidenote: 

The most recent Windows version is for 2022 (despite being available in 2021) while the Mac version is stuck at 2014

But if you're considering buying, don't be discouraged: although released in 2014, the Mac version has been continuously updated and as of this post the most recent update was October 2021 bringing support for macOS Monterrey. 


Comments