KT's new CLiP smartwallet: back up first!




Until this week, I had been a user of an of app called MoCa Wallet, which was a point card "smart wallet" app put out by KT Olleh. It was a convenient way to keep all my point cards in my phone, easy to be scanned when buying crap at Watsons or Paris Baguette.


That app asked me to download a new update to it this week, which I complied with, to discover that it went through a name change and massive face-lift, to become something called "Clip".

KT, the nation's second-largest mobile carrier, and its credit card affiliate, BC Card, rolled out a new mobile wallet service Tuesday.
"CLiP" is designed automatically to provide customers with information on credit card discount benefits and coupons they can use when they enter an affiliated store. The two companies said they want to attract 10 million users to the new (O2O) platform service this year. [Korea Times]

There are articles on it from Korea Herald and JoongAng Daily too.

They are not lying; as soon as you open this thing, it comes up with a buttload of coupon options for places nearby, frighteningly alerting me that I can get 200 won off a donut at the shop that is currently 53 meters from me. Um, ok. And don't even try to walk into a department store. It will know you are in there.

But what I want to warn you about is this: If you haven't updated to CLIP already, save your current point card information first! I stupidly just told it to go ahead and update, and in doing so, it wiped my entire "smart" (not so smart, after all) wallet's contents. I had at least 15 various point cards in there. All gone. It erased my entire account. Bummer. I had to create a new log-in, and manually go through my desk drawers finding the physical copies of the cards, after which it gave me the "convenience" of snapping a photo of each one to add its details to my new Clip wallet.

So be careful out there. Backup everything before upgrading.

By the way, I'm using this MoCa Wallet CLiP simply because I'm a KT customer and it easily integrates with my Olleh Membership. If you're an SK subscriber, you can try Syrup but honestly there's no reason customers of either have to use one or the other. Both should work fine.

If you're curious, here's a nice blog post (Korean) about using CLiP, with lots of nice illustrations and screenshots to help guide you. The app's in Korean, and yes, it's a pain in the ass to set up. But less of a pain in the ass than sitting on a wallet holding a half-inch thick stack of cardboard or plastic point cards.

CliP [Google Play]
MoCa Wallet [iTunes Store] (hasn't yet changed over to "Clip" but will soon)


Comments